FEMA Flood Elevation Certificate Service

About the Service:

NYCLS offers an Elevation Certificate Service for NEW YORK homeowners with structures located in Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) designated Flood Hazard Zones. Since FEMA established the National Flood Insurance Program, NYCLS has provided Elevation Certificates for countless homeowners along the rivers, tributaries and coastal areas of New York. All surveys are conducted in strict compliance with established FEMA guidelines.

If your property is located outside New York, use SurveySearch.net to find a licensed surveyor with experience in your area.

Is my home located in Flood Hazard Zone?

Flood Hazard Zones are typically found in low-lying or coastal areas. FEMA has determined Base Flood Elevations for most Flood Hazard Zones. The Base Flood Elevation is an elevation above the mean sea level which indicates the predicted water surface elevation resulting from a flood that has a one percent chance of equaling or exceeding that elevation in any given year. You may use the FEMA Map Service Center address search feature to determine if your property is located in a Flood Hazard Zone or simply contact us at (860) 448-0400 for assistance.

Do I need an Elevation Certificate?

Anyone may voluntarily purchase flood insurance for their home, but if you have recently purchased or refinanced a home located in a Flood Hazard Zone with a federally guaranteed mortgage, flood insurance in mandatory. When obtaining flood insurance, most providers require an Elevation Certificate prior to issuing a policy. If you’re insurance provider already has an Elevation Certificate on file, it is most likely transferable.

What is an Elevation Certificate?

FEMA has developed a standardized Elevation Certificate form that is used to gather elevation data for the purpose of accurately assessing flood risks to structures located in Flood Hazard Zones. An Elevation Certificate must be prepared and certified by a licensed Land Surveyor. An Elevation Certificate contains:

  • Accurate determination of Flood Zone and Base Flood Elevation (BFE)
  • Geographic location of structure (latitude & longitude)
  • Ground elevations adjacent to structure foundation
  • Type of structure and foundation system
  • Elevation of lowest storage level (crawlspace, basement, slab, etc.)
  • Elevation of lowest living area
  • Elevation of mechanical equipment (furnace, hot water heater, etc.)
  • Photographs of the structure

How do I obtain an Elevation Certificate?

In order to obtain an Elevation Certificate, you or your agent must contact and retain the services of a licensed Land Surveyor authorized by the appropriate state regulatory agency to provided land surveying services in your state.
NYCLS has professional, licensed Land Surveyors available to provide Elevation Certificates throughout the New York Metro Area.

What information will the surveyor need from me?

Essentially, the only information the surveyor will need is the address of the property and the name and contact information of the person responsible for executing the service contract and issuing payment.

Will the surveyor require access to my house?

If your house has a walkout basement, a slab foundation, or an accessible crawlspace foundation, the surveyor will most likely be able to complete the survey without accessing the house.
If your house has a full basement, the surveyor will need access to determine the elevation of the basement floor and the square footage of the enclosed area.

How long will it take NYCLS to prepare my Elevation Certificate?

An elevation certificate can usually be provided within one week to ten days. If your situation requires immediate action, we will make every effort to accommodate your schedule.

How much does NYCLS’s Elevation Certificate Service cost?

Contact Patrick Jones, LS, and Survey Manager at (718) 816-8182 for a free estimate.